Eddy Nicholas O. Orinda Snr.
Corporate & Commercial
Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, Practice Director & Head of Commercial/Corporate Law at ONE & Associates, LLP with vast experience in public health law, international commercial arbi- tration, insolvency, commercial litigation & corporate law practice. I advise clients on major legal transactions including international commercial arbitration, commercial transactions, insolvency and commercial litigation. With a professional working knowledge of Russian and Ukrainian lan- guages, considerable experience on the Eastern European legal system & business environment, I have advised & successfully acted as a link between the governments of the Republic of Ukraine (through the Embassy of Ukraine in Nairobi) and Kenya (through the Office of the Prime Minister of Kenya) in building and fostering diplomatic and business relations between the two Governments. Over the years I have developed alot of interest in insolvency, international relations and diplomacy.I am a senior lecturer at the United States International University (USIU)Nairobi, Kenya where I teach business law and survey of the legal environment at the Chandaria School of
Skills & Languages:
- English (Excellent), French (Elementary) Swahili (Very Good), Ukrainian (Elementary), Russian (Very Good), Dholuo (Native)
- Critical thinking & problem solving, advocacy, negotiation & persuasion, leadership skills, planning & strategizing.
Education & Professional Qualifications:
- Candidate – Doctor of Legal Letters (LL.D), ‘National University’ Odessa Law Academy, Ongoing 2020
- LL.D Thesis Dissertation – ‘International Legal Cooperation in the Fight Against Infectious Diseases in Africa”
- Master of Legal Letters (LL.M) International Law, National University’ Odessa Law Academy , September 2013 — May 2014
- LL.M Thesis Dissertation: Criminal Justice System in Africa –The Rome Statute, Jurisdiction & Limitation of the African Court of Justice (ACJ)
- Bachelor of Legal Letters (LL.B) in International Law, National University’ Odessa Law Academy, September 2005 — June 2009.
- Diploma in Pre Law & Russian Language, International Education Center (IEC) National University of Karazina, August 2004 — June 2005
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law, The Kenya School of Law (KSL), January 2010 — November 2010.
- Candidate – Master of Business Administration (MBA) Entrepreneurship, Kenya Methodist University (KeMU), Ongoing 2020.
Summary of Achievements:
- Represented a diverse group of international/foreign clients in commercial and negotiation matters. Met with clients overseas and developed partnership strategy based on clients needs and recommendations for purposes of doing business in Kenya including negotiating contracts for the clients with the government of Kenya. Pursued each case in full. Consistently achieved favorable results for clients, including a settlement in which I assisted a school in Kenya in re negotiating and structuring a debt of over Kshs. 81, 000, 000 through a mediation process as ordered by the High Court of Kenya.
- Represented an international client (in arbitral proceedings) in Rwanda over a construction dispute claim worth USD 5,000,000. Successfully defended suits filed by the respondents before the High Courts of Kenya and Rwanda including interlocutory applications before the arbitral tribunal on matters of applicable law and security for costs.
- Successfully established the company from scratch and managed a diverse range of projects from conception through implementation including but not limited to i). Being among the first to convince Ukrainian investors to develop an interest in Kenya by organizing the first ever Kenya – Ukraine investment forum officially presided over by H.E the Ambassador of Ukraine to the Republic of Kenya and ii). Being the first to lead an official government delegation from the office of the Prime Minister of Kenya in negotiations with potential investor in Ukraine in 2012/13.
- Advised, successfully established and managed a diverse range of projects from conception through implementation including but not limited to i). Being among the first to convince Ukrainian investors to develop an interest in Kenya by organizing the first ever Kenya – Ukraine investment forum officially presided over by H.E the Ambassador of Ukraine to the Republic of Kenya and ii). Being the first to lead an official government delegation from the office of the Prime Minister of Kenya in negotiations with potential investor in Ukraine in 2012/13.
- Successfully established the Mazira Foundation from scratch and raised over USD 200.000 for the foundation to finance the annual medical camps in Vihiga County, Kenya.
- Successfully acted as a link between the governments of Ukraine (through the Embassy of Ukraine) and Kenya (through the Office of the Prime Minister of Kenya) in building and fostering diplomatic and business relations between Kenya & Ukraine.
- Nominated by the Prime Minister of Kenya Rt. Hon. Raila Amollo Odinga to guide a team of senior advisers in talks with the government of Ukraine on matters of cooperation and business partnerships.
- Represented a major manufacturer in a claim against the Government of the Republic of Kenya in the sum of USD 2,000,000 before the commercial division of the High Court of Kenya.
- Represented a manufacturer in an insolvency cause against mainstream banks in Kenya in the sum of Kshs. 800,000,000.
- Represented real estate companies in loan disputes in excess of Kshs. 2,000,000,000 with various banks in Kenya.
- Represented clients before the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).
- Served as Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) Coordinator – International Young Professionals Summit (IYPS), 2008.
- Served as the International Events Team Leader of the International Young Professionals Foundation, March 2003.
- Served as the Logistics Coordinator of the African Youth Parliament, September 2003
Professional Membership / Organizations:
- Member, Law Society of Kenya (LSK) & East African Law Society (EALS).
- Member, Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Member, International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)
- Member, Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA)
- Member, The Kenya National Chamber of Commerce & Industry (KNCCI).
- Member, International Association of Managing Partners (IAMP).
- Member, INSOL Europe.